Follow Me on Pinterest

Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Oil Lesson 4: painting on "imprimatura"

`
Technique : Painting landscape on a green background




Step 1: the colored ground was prepared a week earlier with all the left over paints from previous lesson, thinned with turpentine and left to dry thoroughly



Step 2: since the background is now dark, I had to use white crayon to help me draw the outline of the landscape instead of my usual pastel pencils.

Step 3: As my chosen landscape was a golf course with a mountaineous background of which parts are reflected onto the lake, Ms Shia told me to block in the colors according to light and dark areas for the landed portions.
Likewise I was to repeat the same for those reflections on the water.

Step 4: Creating the water effects was simple enough~
a) by stroking the paints with a clean brush vertically , resulted in a smeared blend of vertical lines that mmmm, do give an essence of reflections!
b) Then at some areas near the lake's edge, we stroked in some horizontal lines to represent the water ripples.
Landscapes are never my cup of tea but I guess its nice to know how to do it ~
Pretty cool ~ oh yea.

Verdict?
I think painting on imprimaturas is interesting as well as economical to speed up the painting process . But I think it is critical to choose the choice of the colored grounds well before painting because when I look at some classmates' completed works which were done on a reddish ground, the feeling was a very old masters, matt dull finish.
I guess this is where our understanding of color wheel, opaque versus transparent colors comes in…. of which I am still unclear, so for now I prefer to do sons portraits on white ground!


today, our imprimatura was opaque because the colors were mixed with titanium white.
Next week I may attempt a portrait of my beloved Tiger or Tobie on colored ground with either
a) using thin acrylic gold wash
b) thin watercolor stain

No comments:

Follow Me on Pinterest